Spring Flowers

Spring Flowers

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Fresh Garden Herbs

I cleaned up my little herb patch in the vegetable garden and it looks like everything survived the snowy winter. I'm usually able to keep picking fresh perennial herbs up until Thanksgiving and then I use mostly dried herbs over the winter. It's such a treat to begin using fresh herbs again in the spring. I made mashed potatoes for dinner just so that I could add fresh chives and a little sour cream. Yum!

My favorite herbs are basil, chives, cilantro, dill, oregano, parsley, sage and thyme. Most of these are perennial, meaning a healthy plant will grow back each spring. Basil and dill can be grown easily from seed. As for the cilantro, we have a sandy patch of soil in the garden and grow cilantro in that same spot each year. Cilantro doesn't seem to like our hot humid summers, so after it flowers and turns to seed, which is coriander, we just let it reseed itself and then we have a new crop when the weather cools a little.

You can find herb seeds or herb plant starts at most garden centers, but if you're looking for something special, The Cook's Garden has a nice selection of herbs to choose from. You can order online or request a free catalog here.

photos from The Cook's Garden website.

8 comments:

Patrizia said...

Fresh herbs are amazing. Yay

Perfect Fit Crochet said...

I love fresh herbs, especially dill!

Patty said...

Okay I'll admit, I have a very serious addiction to fresh basil

Cheryl Patterson said...

Yes, using fresh herbs can actually change the taste of a dish! And Patty, basil is my favorite, too.

Anonymous said...

Fresh grown are so much better than the store bought! I grew some basil last year and didn't use it as much as I thought I would. I have heard you can freeze it. I hope to try some more herbs this summer.

Beedeebabee said...

I love fresh basil and parsley too!
Those are usually the only ones I grow...maybe it's time to branch out and try something new! Thanks for the tips! xo Paulette ;)

californiablue said...

What a gorgeous assortment of herbs! What do you think the secret is to healthy basil? Lots of sun? How much do you water?

Cheryl Patterson said...

I think most herbs like plenty of sun and a moderate amount of water. From my experience, they are not too particularand very easy to grow.